Below is a step-by-step guide if you want to create this from scratch! Otherwise, black bean burgers bought in the store are sufficient. Simply grill the burgers on the tailgate and top with cheese, pico de gallo and salad of your choice.
- 1 (15-oz.) Can of unsalted black beans, drained
- 5 (1 1/4-oz.) Whole grain hamburger buns, toasted and divided
- ¾ teaspoon of ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon of garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 large egg white, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons of rapeseed oil
- 2 ounces of sliced pepper jack or Monterey jack cheese
- ½ cup of freshly chilled pico de gallo
- 4 lettuce leaves
- Put beans in a large bowl; mash with a fork. 1 toasted bun, shredded, put in a food processor; pulse until fine crumbs form. Stir breadcrumbs, cumin and the next 5 ingredients (through the egg white) into the beans.
- Divide and shape the bean mixture into 4 (1 inch thick) patties. In a large pan, heat the oil over medium to high heat. Add patties to the pan; Cook 4 minutes on each side or until browned.
- Spread the cheese evenly on the patties; Cook for 1 minute or until the cheese melts. Cover the bottom halves of the remaining 4 rolls evenly with patties, pico de gallo, lettuce and top roll halves